Project Spotlight on Llandaff Weir
M&CCE exhibitor, Kaymac was commissioned by Cardiff City council to carry out works to Llandaff weir.
Llandaff Weir is situated on the River Taff 2.2miles to the northwest of Cardiff City Centre. It spans 150m in length from east to west and measures approximately 7.5m from the crest to the toe.
On the 14th July 2017, Kaymac Marine and Civil Engineering were commissioned by Cardiff City Council to carry out a detailed conditional survey of Llandaff Weir to establish the level of deterioration on the structure since the previous survey carried out by Kaymac in 2014.
It was evident from the survey that the level of scour to the downstream toe of the weir had increased substantially since the original survey and that remedial works were required to stabilise the structure to prevent further deterioration and possible failure.
During June of 2018, Kaymac were awarded the contract to carry out the mass concrete repairs to stabilise the toe of the weir and after a short period of planning, Kaymac received National Resources Consent in July to commence the works without delay.
On the 6th August 2018, Kaymac mobilised to site and began the repair works which in general included the following:
* Assembly of a 15m x 8m pontoon platform within the river to provide access to the weir for a long reach excavator and the Kaymac personnel.
* Installation of a temporary sand bag bund to allow water flow away from the working area.
* Removal of mobile bed material from within the scoured areas and installation of temporary formwork.
* Installation of environmental protection and mitigation measures.
* Installation of 240m³ of mass underwater concrete to the scoured areas using a concrete boom pump.
* Removal of the existing steel baffle which was installed by Natural Resource Wales.
See Kaymac Marine & Civil Engineering Ltd on Stand MC69 in the M&CCE Expo
Latest Press Releases
Banedanmark has awarded Fugro a 4-year framework agreement for train-borne lidar scanning of its inf... Read more
Fugro has successfully completed the second of three Malaysian seep hunting and geochemical campaign... Read more
The most advanced 3D digital modelling of the UK's electricity grid will be launched by electricity ... Read more
Fugro has successfully completed the first of three Malaysian seep hunting and geochemical campaigns... Read more
Kongsberg Maritime, through its Cape Town-based business partner Unique Group, has been selected to ... Read more